• Othello School District

    • Request for Special Dietary Accommodations Procedure


    • NOTE: Othello School District Nutrition Services strives to ensure the safest possible food environment for all students.  Although we do our best to keep up to date with food products entering our school district, there is potential for hidden ingredients, and for manufacturers to change their product formulations without prior notice.  It is especially challenging during this time of food supply chain shortages which often requires last minute changes to assure our students receive meals seamlessly without delay. 

      USDA Child Nutrition Programs at Othello School District support access to healthy meals to all children, including children with disabilities who have special dietary needs. A disability is defined as an impairment that substantially limits a major life activity. This can include allergies and digestive conditions. However, it does not include personal diet preferences and will not be considered for modification.

    • Othello School District will make reasonable modifications to meals on a case-by-case basis to accommodate disabilities which restrict a child’s diet. Meals will be provided at no extra charge. Requests for specific brands will not be honored.
      Requests for meal modifications must be submitted in writing to the office at your child’s school.  We prefer the OSPI Request for Special Dietary Accommodations Form be used for requesting diet modifications as it specifically outlines the requirements outlined below.  This form may be printed or you can pick up a paper copy from the health office your student attends.

      The written request using this form in english or spanish must include:

      1. Food(s) to be omitted/avoided from the child’s diet

      2. How the ingestion of the food impacts the child

      3. Food(s) to be substituted

      4. Written request must be signed by a State-recognized medical authority, a licensed health care professional authorized to write medical prescriptions in Washington

      5. Submit a completed request for meal modifications to your building Nurse.

      6. Request for Special Dietary Accommodations Form English 

      7. Request for Special Dietary Accommodations Form Spanish


    • Request for Dietary Accommodations Procedure:

    • Request for Dietary Accommodations Form will be turned into your student’s front office. The form must be complete including health care providers signature. Incomplete forms will be returned to the family.

    • Front office will send the completed form to the building nurse.

    • The building Nurse will review the form and send a copy to the Food Service Director and inform the Teacher if appropriate.

    • The family will be contacted by phone, mail, or parent meeting to discuss best modification practices by the building nurse. School nurse will inquire if the student will be having school breakfast and/or lunch. 

    • The building nurse will work with the family, Teacher, Food Service Director, and Cook in the kitchen to develop a plan for the student on a case by case basis. 

    • Upon approval of modifications a "wanding message" will be created in Skyward by the building nurse to alert Food Service staff of modifications. 

    • Food Service staff will also receive written information regarding the student’s allergens and modifications including request for dietary accommodations form with a picture of the student. 

    • The Teacher or Nurse will introduce the student being accommodated to the Food Service Staff person in the kitchen.

    • Food preferences will not receive modifications.

    • The process for resolving disputes about meal modifications impartially:

      • In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.
        Program information may be made available in languages other than English. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the responsible state or local agency that administers the program or USDA’s TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.
        To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at: https://www.usda.gov/sites/default/files/documents/USDA-OASCR%20P-Complaint-Form-0508-0002-508-11-28-17Fax2Mail.pdf, from any USDA office, by calling (866) 632-9992, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to USDA by:

      1. mail:
        U.S. Department of Agriculture
        Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
        1400 Independence Avenue, SW
        Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; or

      2. fax:
        (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or

      3. email:

      This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

      Si necesita esta información en otro idioma, llame a 509-488-2659.