OSD Facilities Roadmap
Othello School District's Capital Projects Planning Workgroup gave a presentation to our Board of Directors on November 2nd. The group presented a recommendation for a bond election in February 2022, seeking $51 million for projects that include:
- Replacement of the 600 wing at Othello High School and construction of 21 new classrooms.
- Construction of a new gymnasium at Othello High School to accommodate 1,500 students and spectators (the current gym cannot seat all of the students at the same time).
- Expansion of McFarland Middle School to accommodate 6th grade students.
- Construction of a new Food Services central warehouse at a new location off of the OHS property with expanded dry and cold storage capacity.
- Construction of gymnasiums at Lutacaga, Hiawatha, and Scootney Springs that are equal to the gymnasium at Wahitis.
The board agreed to accept the recommendation of the workgroup and will discuss a potential bond resolution at an upcoming meeting. If the proposed bond is passed, it would have an approximate impact of $1.14 per $1,000 in assessed property value.
The workgroup's recommendation was the culmination of planning work that has been underway in Othello for over five years, though the COVID pandemic caused a short pause. That work has included:
- 2016-2021: Facility planning progress with stakeholders and staff.
- May & June 2021: Data synthesis
- July & August 2021: Understanding the goals and identifying possibilities
- September & October 2021: Refinement of facilities plan.
- November 2021: Committee recommendation to the Board of Directors
- Next steps: Board action on resolution, communication with the community, February 2022 election.
More information about the scope of the proposed projects will be coming soon, pending board approval of a resolution authorizing the district to place a bond election on the February 8, 2022 ballot.